I know I've said it before but I'll say it again, if my children were named after my cravings they would both be named old fashioned donut. There's something super tough about pregnancy and it's called cravings. Some people crave more eccentric snacks like mayonnaise pickles or beef jerky dipped in hot sauce. Some people, myself included, crave sugar. Sugar on sugar on sugar. I wanted to eat cupcakes covered in sugar cereal with hot chocolate on the side... for. every. meal.
Obviously this is not a good decision and these cravings should not be indulged in for every meal but, try to tell that to a pregnant woman. Its tough! Here's my tried and true ways to combat these sugar cravings during your pregnancy and beyond!
1. Take a nap: If you can, close your eyes for 15 minutes. If you're at work, take your lunch break to relax, put up your feet and take a little snooze. This will help give you the rush of energy you are looking for and keep you away from the snacks you crave.
2. Lemon water: There's something about the lemony goodness of lemon water that shocks the senses and brings you back to a healthy state of mind. A water bottle infuser is a great place to start.
3. Meditation: If you don't have time for a nap, take 5 minutes and refocus on your day. Try to stay present during this time and relax. In my experience, when we are tensed and stressed we tend to have more cravings.
4. Eat a green smoothie: I LOVE green smoothies and have found that the frozen fruit and peanut butter that I like to put in them can really help with my sugar cravings.
5. Indulge: When all else fails, indulge! Just remember to do so in small amounts and don't eat 12 cupcakes in one sitting. And if you do eat 12 cupcakes in one sitting?... Well, we've all been there!